Free Memorial Day printables, unit study ideas, worksheets, fun facts for kids, history of the holiday, DIY decorations, crafts, recipes for kids, & more!
Free Memorial Day Printables and Unit Study Ideas
Memorial Day marks the beginning of summer, and it’s the end of the homeschool year for many families. Here are tons of ideas that you can use for a unit study on Memorial Day, including free printables, worksheets, decorations, crafts, recipes, books, and videos!
Ever wondered where the holiday originated, and what is the history of Memorial Day? Do you want to teach your homeschooled kids basic facts about Memorial Day? Maybe you need to brush up on the history yourself, so you can teach your kids. Perhaps these fun facts will help!
Memorial Day Fun Facts for Kids:
- Memorial Day is a national holiday to honor soldiers who have died serving our country.
- It is always observed on the last Monday in May, to allow us to have a three-day weekend.
- It is generally considered to be the holiday that marks the beginning of summer.
- Many people have relatives or friends who have died in service.
- It is not usually a celebration, but rather a day of somber reflection and remembrance.
- At 3pm, many people choose to stop and have a moment of silence during the National Moment of Remembrance, to think about and give thanks for those who gave their lives for our freedom.
- Before it was a recognized holiday, people used to set aside a day to honor fallen soldiers during the Civil War.
- On May 30th, 1868, the first name was given to the holiday, “Decoration Day.”
- In 1871, Michigan declared Decoration Day an official holiday.
- After World War II, we began using the day to honor all soldiers who had died in any war.
- The holiday was officially renamed “Memorial Day” in 1967.
- Many people go on vacations and shop over the three-day weekend.
- They also decorate with red, white, and blue, or wear those colors over the holiday.
- It is considered respectful to fly your American flag at half-mast until noon on Memorial Day.
These fun Memorial Day facts will help you teach your children! These are thoroughly researched, concise, yet complete. They include what you and your kids need to know. It’s the perfect complement to any Memorial Day unit study!
I have been working on a printable holiday fact sheet series I have going on over at my Teachers Pay Teachers store. As I come out with new ones each month, I’m offering them FREE for a limited time. Here’s my Memorial Day homeschool copywork printable! I hope you enjoy it.
These fact sheets will serve as an easy and quick reference sheet for homeschool families to introduce the basic facts about the various U.S. Holidays. Use them for copywork or notebooking or to introduce prior knowledge about the holiday before a project or lesson. Soon, they’ll all be in one huge download for you, too! Follow my store for the announcement – yes I’ll start it out as a FREEBIE, as always.
This is a work in progress. As I create them one at a time, they will be free for a limited time. My goal is to have them published a week or two before each occasion so that homeschool families can use them as a quick briefing of the holiday coming up. If you wish, you can “follow” me on Teachers Pay Teachers so that you will not miss when I publish them.
This resource can also be used for notebooking, lapbooking, copywork, Reading comprehension, or as a basic tool for research. Eventually, after I’ve created a page for each holiday, I plan to publish them in one large download for your convenience. Watch my TPT store for that.
You can see all my printable fact sheets for holidays and seasonal events at the TPT store. My prices are very reasonable and “frugal,” I think. Most of my printables are introduced as freebies!
Free Memorial Day Printables for Homeschool
Here is a list of all the coolest FREE Memorial Day printables I’ve rounded up through the years. I try to update this list every once in a while! Let me know if you know of other free resources I could list here!
Did you know you can see all these ideas plus MORE, NEW IDEAS on my holidays and seasons Pinterest Boards?
Follow Deana, The Frugal Homeschooling Mom (TFHSM)’s board Preschool Homeschool Printables on Pinterest.
This post contains affiliate links, which means I may earn a small commission when you make a purchase after clicking any of them. Please see my disclosure for more information.
- Dot Marker Printable from Royal Baloo
- Printable Poems from Apples 4 the Teacher
- Patriotic Bookmarks by Hand to Heart
- Lapbook by The Annamatrix
- Classic printables from DTLK
Easy DIY Memorial Day Decorations
- Simple Memorial Day Decorations from Susan Evans
Fun and Easy Kids’ Crafts for Memorial Day
- Jelly Bean Mosaic American Flag from Education.com
- Simple American Flag Craft by Fun-A-Day
- Patriotic Jewelry Craft by Kids Activities Blog
- Fingerprint and Footprint Flags by Coffee Cups and Crayons
- Suncatchers Craft by Beneath My Heart
Memorial Day Books for Kids
- Memorial Day Mini Book of Activities
Delicious Memorial Day Recipes Kids can Make
- No-Bake Cake Batter Truffles by Who Needs a Cape